Thursday, June 23, 2016

Gamma Knife Round Two

June 2016

It's been a confusing couple weeks! There was a tiny spot on my latest MRI that was concerning. It was a spot that was there since last August, but we were just watching because it didn't seem to be growing at all over the past ten months leaving us to believe it was benign, a blood vessel abnormality or something like that. Well this last scan showed that it is now a little bigger, and when you have a history of cancer you have to assume it's a tumor. I asked my doctor to get a second opinion from a different radiologist who also thought it was a tumor, because of the way it enhanced on the image. This spot is so tiny, only 5 mm, but is located deep in an area that can't be surgically removed. Our only treatment option is to try gamma knife radiation. Last time I had gamma knife (the huge tumor that I thought we removed surgically, but then it was back and BIGGER than before) worked beautifully, and that spot is no longer visible on my MRI, so I'm feeling very confident it will work again.

I had the procedure on Thursday June 9th, with the same set of doctor's. My radiation oncologist, neurosurgeon, and physicist all remembered me (It's only been ten months since last time), and we joked about how we have to stop meeting like this. The whole ordeal took half the day, but the actual radiation time was only 18 minutes! It was relatively easy, the hardest part was the screws they insert into your skull that hold your head still during the procedure. I went home to watch movies with Corey for the rest of the day.

In six weeks we will do a follow up MRI to see if the treatment worked. We aren't sure what this means as far as my medication goes. This may mean that my treatment is beginning to no longer work... or possibly this one tumor is just not responding, but the treatment is still working over all. At this point we are choosing to watch and wait, and currently stay on my medication. This whole process has taught me more patience than I ever imagined possible.
Just after gamma knife radiation



4 comments:

  1. I love reading your story. Thank you for sharing. Praying for good results in six weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Jen! Your story is so inspiring. It takes so much courage to go what you have gone through. I feel so lucky to have you in my life ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this with sadness, laughter and heartbreak all throughout. You've taught something very important. Life can throw serious curveballs, but it's how we choose to accept the challenge that really matters. You have such a can-do attitude and inspire me to tackle life's advertises in the same manner and to never take things for granted. I love you lady!!

    ReplyDelete